World of Books Group are proud to be a B Corp™
World of Books Group have been awarded Certified B Corporation® status.
Certified B Corporations (B Corps™) are for-profit companies that use the power of business to build a more inclusive and sustainable economy. They are businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose. In short, we care about people and the planet.
There are currently over 3,000 B Corps in 150 industries and 60 countries across the world. We’re very proud to be the 229th B Corp in the UK.
A little bit about B Corp, what it means and why it’s so good:
B Corps believe in using business as a force for good in the world. They use profits and growth as a means to a greater end: positive impact for their employees, communities and the environment.
We've committed to this:
The values and aspirations of B Corp align well with our purpose: a circular economy, for profit business that supports charities and protects the planet by enabling more goods to be reused.
Why we’ve become a B Corp
Our business model is designed to do good. It’s circular and sustainable and we believe in making a positive impact in the world and in building a better business that helps us to do more good. We were already doing many good things, but by earning the badge, we’re officially demonstrating our commitment to environmental, social and financial performance in an effort to achieve a sustainable future, today.
B Corp Certification doesn’t just prove where a company excels now—it commits them to consider their impact on stakeholders now and in the future.
By buying from and doing business with B Corps, you can live your values and support companies that you believe in.
How we score
Businesses need to achieve a minimum verified score of 80 points on the B Impact Assessment—a rigorous test of how our operations and business model impact our people, community, environment, and customers. World of Books Group exceeded this standard, scoring 84.8.
B Corp certification is managed by B Lab. B Lab is a non-profit that serves a global movement of entrepreneurs, using the power of business to solve social and environmental issues. Its vision is that all businesses across the globe will measure and manage their impact with the same attention as they do to profit.
To maintain our B Corp certification, we need to continue documenting our positive impact to qualify and undergo re-certification every three years.
What we did to become a B Corp
We’ve taken bold actions to lead on sustainability, reduce our environmental impacts and protect the low-carbon economy.
Good for our people
- Progressive policies have been introduced, such as Business for Good, Responsible Procurement, Diversity and Inclusion.
- We’ve committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce, no gender pay gap, ensuring all people are remunerated in line with the National Living Wage regardless of age, whilst introducing employee benefit schemes and technology for better engagement and communication.
- 35% of jobs advertised were filled by internal promotions last year. Positive people engagement and communication saw an 18% YOY increased ‘happiness at work’ score in our last survey.
Good for our customers
- Our lower prices and free delivery mean we can share the love of reading further. This helps millions of used books find new homes and allowed 7,376,975 people affordable access to books in 2018.
Good for the community
- We’ve taken a lead improving impact in our industry and communities, engaging with local networks, collaborating with our waste and packaging suppliers, and actively developing academic partnerships in the circular economy field.
- We actively support local schools with regular book donations, encourage volunteering, and offer our people up to 1 paid day off per year to do so with our community charity partner.
- 68,787+ books donated to good causes so far. Partnerships with Own Books, School Aid, Books to Africa, Book Fairies and other charities ensures we can actively scale our donations scheme.
- In 2018 waste and surplus books collected from 4,500 charity shops generated £3M for charities through direct payments and savings in waste disposal costs.
Good for the environment
- We diverted 32,372 tonnes (~80M) used books, 1,152 tonnes of media though resale and recycling in 2018.
- Reuse and recycling saved 5,946 (tCO2e) carbon, ~19% reduction in our carbon footprint to date.
- Poly-packaging now includes 30% recycled content and is 100% recyclable, surpassing the UK Plastic Pact 2025 goal. We’re working to reduce and remove all plastic, introducing more paper-based alternatives.
Energy and water consumption, greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and waste is measured and monitored so we can validate our impact and identify areas for efficiencies. All are benchmarked and verified by third-parties.
- replaced our van fleet, introducing routing technology to save collection miles;
- sourced all main site electricity from 100% renewable sources;
- designed environmental and automation efficiencies into our new Coventry facility;
- begun complete refurbishment of offices, implementing LED lighting, waterless urinals and stop taps to reduce water use;
- installed recycling stations at all sites;
- installed electric charge parking points;
- installed efficient heating systems and film on windows to regulate temperature;
- replaced LPG forklift trucks with lithium ion;
- launched an electric bus service for people at our Coventry site.
To say we’re incredibly proud to join the B Corp community is an understatement, but we believe this is just the start of our journey to continuously champion business as a force for good in the world and focus on what people care most about.
Download the World of Books Group Impact Report, FY18/19 by clicking on the image below: