Reassessing Gender and Achievement: Questioning Contemporary Key Debates by Becky Francis
Challenging current theories about gender and achievement, this book assesses the issues at stake and analyses the policy drives and changing perceptions of gender on which the 'gender and achievement' debates are based.
This new topical book guides the reader through the different theories and approaches, drawing together and reviewing work on gender and educational performance. The authors also highlight the continuing problems experienced by girls in terms of achievement and classroom interaction. The subjects covered include:
- perspectives on gender and achievement
- the construction of gender and achievement in education policy
- evaluating boys' underachievement
- the future for boys and girls?
- raising achievement: 'What works in the classroom?'
Teachers, education professionals and students engaged in teacher training will welcome the editors' objective yet critical expertise.