Organization and Innovation by David Knights
- What do recent management fads and fashions have in common?
- What are the implications and limitations of the prescriptions on offer for people's working lives?
The book contends that current management thinking around 'new' forms of work organization is immersed in a contemporary version of the American Dream. Referring to empirical research, the authors identify numerous difficulties confronting the implementation of this discourse, including:
- Collective and individual forms of resistance
- Unintended consequences and contradictory tensions around the notions of autonomy versus control
- Individualism versus collectivism
- Insecurity versus commitment
- Quality versus quantity.