Appuldurcombe House: 2009 by L. O. J. Boynton
The house dates from early in the eighteenth century. It was enlarged and altered some seventy years later. Sadly it has been uninhabited since 1909 and by 1954 it was a ruin, but after restoration, mainly to the great hall and projecting wings, it is once again a beautiful building. At the end of the eighteenth century the park was landscaped by 'Capability' Brown. The house is still in a very attractive setting but much of the former parkland is now farmed. This handbook contains a descriptive tour followed by the history of the house and those who built and lived in it.