Advancing Race and Ethnicity in Education By Richard Race
Advancing Race and Ethnicity in Education
by Richard Race
This timely collection focuses on domestic and international education research on race and ethnicity. As co-conveners of the British Education Research Associations (BERA) Special Education Group on Race and Ethnicity (2010-2013), Race and Lander are advocates for the promotion of race and ethnicity within education.
Advancing Race and Ethnicity in Education by Richard Race
This timely collection focuses on domestic and international education research on race and ethnicity. As co-conveners of the British Education Research Associations (BERA) Special Education Group on Race and Ethnicity (2010-2013), Race and Lander are advocates for the promotion of race and ethnicity within education. With its unique structure and organisation of empirical material, this volume collates contributions from global specialists and fresh new voices to bring cutting-edge research and findings to a multi-disciplinary marker which includes education, sociology and political studies. The aim of this book is to promote and advocate a range of contemporary issues related to race, ethnicity and inclusion in relation to pedagogy, teaching and learning.
Why buy from World of Books
Our excellent value books literally don't cost the earth
"In the UK, we are still dealing with the aftermath of the murder of Stephen Lawrence and the consequences of the 2011 'riots' fuelled by poverty and racism. What do these events say about the way we should be providing education for all our children? What counts as good practice? How are race and ethnicity currently constituted? In a period of unprecedented hyper-diversity in the UK, how are we responding to the richness and differences that make up our contemporary social world? This elegant and lively collection deals with some of the most pressing contemporary issues that educators face in our education institutions today. This landmark book puts race and ethnicity firmly back on the educational agenda." - Meg Maguire, Professor of Sociology of Education, King's College London, UK
"This is a varied and multifaceted collection that will prove useful to a wide readership concerned to understanding how race and ethnic inequality operate in education and what can be done to interrupt them. The authors are drawn from different nations, they focus on a variety of issues, and they disagree about key aspects of theory and practice - the result is a stimulating and thought-provoking volume." - David Gillborn, Professor of Critical Race Studies and Director of the Centre for Research in Race & Education (CRRE) at the University of Birmingham, UK
"This is an invaluable book for those of us who are interested in race and ethnicity in education. The text offers an eclectic discussion on schooling issues within the British context and other western Global contexts, and the chapters explore race and ethnicity and racisms' manifestations in its different forms though policies and academic debates and through the student/pupil voice. This is a must have book for practitioners, teachers, lecturers, academic researchers and indeed students. The book is a reminder that issues of race and ethnicity are prevalent and show how it emerges and re-merges in its varied guises in the myriad educational contexts." - Shirin Housee, Course Leader for Sociology, University of Wolverhampton, UK
About Richard Race
Richard Race is Senior Lecturer in Education in the School of Education at Roehampton University, UK. He is author of Multiculturalism and Education (2nd edition, 2015), and co-Series Editor for the Palgrave Macmillan series Policy and Practice in the Classroom.
Vini Lander is Professor and Head of Research in the Faculty of Education at Edge Hill University, UK, which has a dedicated focus on inclusion. Prior to that she was Head of Primary Education at the University of Chichester, UK. Her research focuses on the preparation of teachers for teaching in a multi-ethnic society.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction; Richard Race
2. Identity Performance and Race: The Use of Critical Race Theory in Understanding Institutional Racism and Discrimination in Schools; Alice Bradbury
3. British Muslim Schools: Institutional Isomorphism and Transition from Independent to Voluntary-Aided Status; Damien Breen
4. Educational Inclusion: Meeting the Needs of all Traveller Pupils; Kate D'Arcy
5. Race and Ethnicity in American Education; Geneva Gay
6. Journeys to Success: An Appreciative Inquiry into the Academic Attainment of Black and Minority Ethnic Students at a Post-1992 London University; Julie Hall, Jo Peat and Sandra Craig
7. Initial Teacher Education: The Practice of Whiteness; Vini Lander
8. Overcoming Disciplinary Boundaries: Connecting Language, Education and (Anti)Racism; Stephen May
9. Beyond Kung Fu and Takeaway: Negotiation of British Chinese Identities in Schools; Ada Mau
10. Multiculturalism and Integration; Tariq Modood
11. The 'Schooled Identities' of Australian Multiculturalism: Professional Vision, Reflexive Civility and Education for a Culturally Complex World; Greg Noble and Megan Watkins
12. Using Specialist Software to Assist Knowledge Generation: An Example from a Study of Practitioners' Perceptions of Music as a Tool for Ethnic Inclusion in Cross-Community Activities in Northern Ireland; Oscar Odena
13. The Sheer Weight of Whiteness in the Academy: A UK Case Study; Andrew Pilkington
14. The Multicultural Dilemma, the Integrationist Consensus and the Consequences for Advancing Race and Ethnicity within Education; Richard Race
15. The Black Child and the Coalition Government; Jasmine Rhamie
Advancing Race and Ethnicity in Education by Richard Race
Used - Very Good
Book picture is for illustrative purposes only, actual binding, cover or edition may vary.
This is a used book - there is no escaping the fact it has been read by someone else and it will show signs of wear and previous use. Overall we expect it to be in very good condition, but if you are not entirely satisfied please get in touch with us.