The Friendship Maze: How to Help Your Child Navigate Their Way to Positive and Happier Friendships by Tanith Carey
Friendship battles among children have existed since the words `you can't play with us' were first uttered in the playground. But the worry is that today it seems there is no minimum age limit to being hurtful to others. Unkind or exclusive behaviour appears to be starting sooner than ever - even in nursery school - and continues throughout the school system. As a result, friendship issues top the list of parents' concerns, and, from the other side of the school gates, they can often feel powerless.
This book will change that as parenting writer Tanith Carey analyses the increasingly complex social pressures changing the face of childhood, having drawn on extensive research on children's friendships, from toddlers to teens. She offers practical solutions for building your child's social skills for a happier, more carefree childhood, including how to:
- Help your child deal with classroom and social media politics.
- Inoculate your child against the effects of peer-group pressure, cliquiness and exclusion.
- Learn what's really going on in your child's social circle.
- Bully-proof your child throughout school.
- Work out when to step in and step out of your child's conflicts.
- Help your child make friends if they are stuck on the sidelines.
The Friendship Maze is suitable for ages three to sixteen.