Ursula M. Sharma is Reader in Sociology and Social Anthropology at the University of Keele.
1. Is a Theory of Caste still Possible?: D. Quigley (Queen's University of Belfast).
2. Caste, Democracy and the Politics of Community in India: S. Mitra (University of Hull).
3. Berreman Revisited; Caste and the Comparative Method: U. M. Sharma (University of Keele).
4. Girasias and the Politics of Difference in Rajasthan: Caste, Kinship and Gender in a Marginalised Society: M. Unnithan (University of Sussex).
5. Caste without a System; a Study of South Indian Harijans: R. Deliege (University of Louvain/FNRS).
6. Religion, Caste and other identities: Mary Searle-Chatterjee (Manchester Metropolitan University).
7. Caste - A Personal Perspective: A. Shukra.
Notes on Contributors.