The third edition of the best-selling classic on marriage enhancement and divorce prevention, features the latest research and changes of heart in our culture and society. New and revised, Fighting for Your Marriage is based on the widely acclaimed PREP (Prevention and Relationship Enhancement Program) approach. Groundbreaking studies have found that couples can use the strategies of this approach to handle conflict more constructively, protect their happiness, and reduce the odds of breaking up.
The authors have included a wealth of techniques and down-to-earth guidance for all couples who seek to promote greater character and pleasure in their long-term relationships.
Scott M. Stanley, Ph.D., is codirector of the Center for Marital and Family Studies at the University of Denver.
Susan L. Blumberg, Ph.D., is director of Interpersonal Communication Options in Denver, CO.
Part One: Understanding the Risks on the Road to Lasting Love.
1. Five Keys for a Great Relationship: PREP in a Nutshell.
2. Destructive Patterns: Signs of Danger Ahead.
3. Changing Roles, Changing Rules: Men and Women in Conflict.
Part Two: Teaming Up to Handle Conflict.
4. When What You Heard Isn't What I Said: Understanding Filters in Communication.
5. Talking Safely Without Fighting: The Speaker Listener Technique.
6. Controlling the Home Fires: Handling Issues and Events Well.
7. New Perspectives on Problems and Problem Solving.
8. Keeping Confl ict Under Control: Ground Rules for a Great Relationship.
Part Three: Enjoying Each Other.
9. Safe Harbor: Preserving and Protecting Friendship.
10. Being There: Supporting One Another in Life.
11. Playing Together: How to Succeed in Fun Without Really Trying.
12. Sense and Sensuality: Enhancing and Protecting Your Sex Life.
13. Sacred Places: Core Beliefs and Spiritual Intimacy.
Part Four: Staying the Course.
14. Why You Can't Always Get What You Want: Unraveling the Mysteries of Expectations.
15. Forgiveness: Restoring Hope.
16. Sticking, Stuck, or Stopped: On the Path to Commitment.
17. Moving Forward.
Getting More Help.
Resources and Training.
About the Authors.